Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bismillah



Alhamdulillah, Allah has blessed us with a wonderful four years in Evanston, Illinois. While were here, we met many people, some we knew from long ago, and some new. Though words are easy to say, they are the least we can offer. The Beloved Messenger of God said, "He has not thanked Allah, who has not thanked people."

I would like to thank:

Khurram Mamoo - for being my beloved mamoo and original (and continued) inspiration for wanting to be a physician.  For being a very loving, playful and sincere Mamoo, for helping me at every stage of my development as a physician and as a person, and most importantly, for supporting me spiritually during a trying time (residency) with your presence, words of wisdom and recurrent reminders on what is truly important in life. And now that I have become a physician, for turning around the day before I leave Evanston and saying, "Now, your job is to learn Arabic." I pray that Allah blesses you with a portion of a reward for any that I earn as I take care of my patients throughout my life.

Shaheena Mami - for opening the doors of your home with warm and welcoming arms at all times, especially when we had come in the beginning and were looking for a place to live in Evanston - but throughout. It was always great alhamdulillah to come to a "home" home and spend time with you, Khurram Mamoo, Safi and Iman, as well as Rashid Uncle.

Saman Apa - for being an incredibly sincere and inspiring cousin, kind and caring, for being a tremendously generous host (also letting us stay in her home in the early days), and showing us what it means to stand firm on principle. And without realizing it showing me that if I perhaps keep up my urdu, I might learn some more refined manners as well (though I haven't been keeping up my urdu as well as I should).

Naveed Bhai - for listening with rapt attention and asking very thought-provoking questions about medicine, which were always really fun for me to answer, and of course, for being the most financially wise individual I know. I am sure I will be contacting you whenever I need to purchase... anything in the future.

Danish Irfan and Sabahat Adil - for reminding us that if we have the opportunity to go for an adventure, we should, and if we have the opportunity to go out, we should. Danish specifically for being my pseudo-bachelor buddy (when our wives were away) - wandering up and down Devon looking for a place to eat, ultimately always going to Sabri Nihari. And Sabahat specifically for being the most balanced person in academia we have probably ever met.

Aasim Padela and Maryam Razvi - for inviting us into their home again and again, and welcoming us as if WE had just moved in, even though you were the ones that did. Aasim specifically for... well, much, over the years, but mainly, always being a much better friend to me than I deserved, watching out for me, and being a role model for me. Also, of course, for being the means by which Allah showed me some very important things I needed to know about myself. Maryam specifically for feeding us delicious dinners and iftars, role-modeling parenting, and also for showing us that you can be a mother, manage a household (really well) and do a PhD at the same time!?

Omar and Hina Raja - for being our good friends and people with whom we could really just relax and be ourselves. Omar for going to see a movie with me from time to time to spare me the embarrassment of going to see them myself. And Hina for opening the doors of your home to us when were locked out of our apartment and couldn't get the keys, and needed a place to stay for the night.

Wasif and Khadija Raja - for giving us great company and always ready to offer help. Wasif for showing me the ins and outs of looking for a job as a physician, and it was by your help that my current workplace in California found me and I accepted their offer so may Allah bless you for that. And for always patiently answering my questions about the "business of medicine". Also of course for being my board review buddy during those grueling weekends, and for shuttling us back and forth to Jimmy John's for our rushed lunch in those days.

Sam Highsmith and Nermine Hasan - for being fantastic close friends, both literally and figuratively. Sam for being someone with whom I could be completely myself and feel comfortable, for being my fatherhood discussant, for being a running partner (albeit short lived), for sharing in my sometimes inappropriate (but of course always true) etho-religious jokes, and for all the great book recommendations. Nermine for opening her home to us on numerous occasions and being such a gracious host, and for being such a good companion to Subul, especially comforting in the early phase of our time in Evanston.

Tarek Ghanem and Rahma Bavelaar - for being so open hearted with us. Tarek for being a shining example of what it means to think of others before oneself, and for teaching me about the phrase "luxury problems" which influences me to this day. Also for being patient with me. Rahma for being an inspiration to us - showing that one need not be tied down by the day to day, and can (and should) do what needs to be done at the moment. Both of you being exemplars in your desire to be close to the revolution in Egypt.

Thank you and Jazakumullahu khayran to all of you. May Allah preserve and increase all of you.

Insha Allah we will put pictures of our journey west on this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Jazakullah khair for your kind words, Saleem and Subul! May we live up to the things you give us credit for! (ameen) We must thank you guys for helping to ease our move to Illinois; it was nice to have familiar faces around and we are going to miss you a lot! Subul, I will especially miss our drives to/from halaqa and discussion on educational philosophies and your great company alhamdulilah. May Allah swt bless this move for you, ease the journey, and help you settle in California. Please keep us in your dua and keep in touch! Maryam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Saleem. May you and your family reach your desired destinations, here and where it really matters. One of the fondest memories of your stay in "Chicago" was our trip to Wyalusing State Park at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers in Wisconsin. You had just arrived from the coast and about to start your internship. The thundering rain minutes after we pitched our tent, the amazing trails, the view from the edge of the park at sundown, the sheer 1000+ foot cliff overlooking the marshes at the confluence of the two rivers and the incredible amplication of bird sounds in the swaps 1000 feet below are fresh in my mind. And for a grand finale we decided to canoe in the magestic Mississippi river on a muggy afternoon before we headed back! We should do that again! Mamu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Saleem,
    As usual am late with writing a comment on your blog, but thought it was better late then never. Jazakallah khair for your kind and generous words. I still remember the day when you and subul came to stay at my place... It seems like yesterday to me. Aima was a few months old...it was wonderful to have you and your family with us. I have learned so much from you and subul....all good things. You and subul became one of the reason for me to get closer to Islam and to make my life change according to it. And I thank you both for it. I pray you find peace, love and happiness in this world and the next. May Allah always shower you with His blessings. Ameen.
    Saman

    ReplyDelete